What does this program offer?
Education for parents, family members and caregivers of children with special needs as well for the community interested to know more about disabilities.
Parent Support provided during the course. Classes are offered weekdays, on Saturdays and evening classes.
Seven or 8 week course that covers topics related to disabilities. The classes are in English and Spanish.
- History of Disabilities
- Special Education Process
- Emergency Preparedness
- Transitioning into adulthood
- Social Services
- Assistive Technology
- Family Dynamics
Academy for ADHD
For Families whose Children have ADD or ADHD
- Introduction to understanding ADD/ADHD
- ADHD and other conditions
- Medication options
- Home and school strategies
- How to advocate for your childs rights at school
- ADD & ADHD in boys and girls
- Social skills and bullying
Academy for Autism
For Families whose Children have Autism
- IDEA-Autism Supplement
- Social Services-Resources
- Treatments-SPD (Sensory Process Disorder)
- Treatments-ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis)
- Treatments-Biomedical Interventions
- Assembling your team-Communication Strategies
- Transition-Things a Child with Autism wishes you knew
There is childcare available for children with special care needs under 5 years through weekdays.
Availability depends on the Childcare capacity. RSVP for availability and requirements on Saturday and evenings.
For more information contact Isabel Rubiera at (915) 544-8484 or E-Mail
Sponsored by DSHS-CSHCN